How long do I have after my visa is granted before I can move to Australia?
The answer to this question depends on the type of visa that is granted. Some visas – particularly temporary residency visas (thought not all) – do not require that you move to Australia by any fixed date. However, permanent residency visas require that you enter Australia within 12 months of the earlier of the date on which you undertook the medical examination and the date of the police clearance certificate.
Note that this initial trip to Australia can be for a holiday. You do not have to move to Australia by that date.
- I have a job offer. Can I move to Australia on an employer sponsored 482 visa, and apply for a permanent residency visa once I am living in Australia?
- I am overweight / diabetic / recovering from a heart condition / have had depression etc. Does this mean I will fail the medical and can’t move to Australia?
- When should I obtain my police clearance certificate and attend medical examinations?
- I have heard that permanent residency visas are only valid for 5 years. I thought I could live in Australia indefinitely as the holder of such a visa?
- So when can I become an Australian citizen?
- What is a permanent residency visa?
Ask a question
If you have any questions or need help choosing the right visa, please call us or complete the form below and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.